This job was previously announced as a Housing Rehabilitation Coordinator – if you applied under that announcement, there is no need to reapply.
1159 South is seeking a construction project manager / coordinator for the Rebuilding Blocks program that is improving housing and neighborhoods in our target community. We are a nonprofit organization whose mission is to significantly improve the economic conditions of low-income people, housing conditions and appearance of distressed places, and sense of community in southwest Springfield.
- Type: Full-Time
- Salary: $24.00 / hr., Up to $50,000 annually
Responsible for implementing the housing rehabilitation and neighborhood outreach program. Specific duties include developing and managing housing rehab projects carried out by contractors and developing neighborhood improvement plans that reflect residents’ priorities.
- Identify distressed housing rehab opportunities and assist with acquisitions and sales of rehabs.
- Inspect properties using HUD’s Residential Rehabilitation Inspection Guide or similar guidelines.
- Create and maintain a database of community-based qualified contractors and real estate agents.
- Participate in project design and plans, write scopes of work and detailed construction specifications.
- Assist in developing project budgets, assessing feasibility, and issuing bid invitations.
- Oversee housing rehabs on-site and ensure contractor compliance with laws, permit and inspection requirements, timelines, safety, budget, quality standards and specifications. Conduct pre-bid and pre-construction meetings and interim inspections. Recommend action on change orders. Recommend contractors, secure lien waivers and warranties, and certify work completed for payments.
- Maintain electronic database of project scope, specs, plans, documents, schedules, daily worksite activities, change orders, invoices, budget updates, contractor insurance and license compliance, lien waivers, warranties, and similar project information.
- Update the oversight Director regularly, bringing any issues to the Director’s immediate attention.
- Canvas neighborhoods, organize residents, and collect and compile data for comprehensive neighborhood improvement plans. Conduct additional community outreach to achieve project goals.
- Attend training and receive required licenses and certifications.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Required and Preferred Qualifications
- The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented, self-starter with strong time management, organization, and leadership skills, who is able to assess property conditions, work with contractors to resolve worksite problems, and deliver quality, affordable housing rehabs within budget and with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in housing construction or rehabilitation is essential.
- Excellent computer skills required: Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and able to learn new software quickly, including ProCore construction project management software.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Ability to facilitate collaborations, compile data, and assist with writing reports.
- Ability to function well in a small staff environment and prioritize workload to fulfill the mission.
- Must be able to work during regular business hours and available to work occasional off hours.
- Familiarity with south Springfield or work in underserved communities is desirable.
- Project management experience using dedicated project management software preferred.
Open until filled. This is a grant-funded position for one year with extensions subject to additional funding.